Ah, winter. Although you are not officially here until the 21st, your spell of darkness has already begun to make its presence known.
And no. I don’t look like this beautiful woman below.
[image credit: www.skincarebeautymag.com]
Honestly, she probably doesn’t either, but that’s how I wish I felt in the winter.
I’m no expert but I can tell you that I’m on an endless hunt for the perfect solutions to all of my winter skin woes. I get the works: dry, itchy scalp, flaky skin, eczema patches… There are a few products and tricks I use when the temperature drops to keep me from becoming Jerry Seinfeld on the episode he shaved his chest.
Although yet to be perfected, every winter my routines, habits and products improve my winter skin conditions.
-GENERAL TIPS & TRICKS-
- Fragrance free lotions – The Bath and Body Works lotions do smell lovely, but I think scent is their primary function and moisturizing and skin conditioning a distant second. They are lovely to use as little extras, but may not be best for nourishment.
- Short and less frequent showers – Hot water is not friend for dry skin. Try to shorten your showers as much as possible, use warm water instead of super hot, and if possible, try not to shower too much to preserve your body’s natural oils.
- Turn down the heat – The heat in your house and office is drying you out. Try to dress in layers and turn the temp down to below 70 degrees. I know people who pump their houses full of 70+ degrees and I feel it. I generally keep mine at 66 at night and 68 during the day or when home. It varies, but do your best!
- Drink water – Just as important in the winter as it is in the summer.
- Dry Brush – It feels gooood. haha!
Scalp – Nizoral Shampoo
Many of us focus more on our hair than on our scalp. Big mistake considering your hair is only as good as your scalp!This stuff is blue magic in a bottle. I used to use Head and Shoulders but it no longer did it’s job. I had to go for the harder stuff. I discovered this through a Best Natural Remedy book which actually has solutions to everyday issues that work.
Hair & Shave – SheaMoisture Superfruit Complex 10-in-1 Renewal System Hair Masque
I mentioned in a previous post that I use my hair masque as a shaving cream as well. And with good reason. I picked this up without any previous knowledge of the brand. I tend to like to try out new hair products until I find something I like. I have a feeling this will be a repeat purchase. It smells lovely, deeply conditions my hair, and is a nice shave cream for the body.
This quest is never ending. I have tried TONS of brands and the only one I thought was the holy grail was CereVe. But it has parabens which I am trying to avoid as much as possible. The quest continues. Right now I am using Everyday Shea unscented, but it’s not quite powerful enough.
Any lotion suggestions are welcome!